Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Assisi


Easily one of the most beautify places we visited in Italy, Assisi was the home of St. Francis.
This is the little central Plaza with it's fountain. Very Medieval in it's architecture and appearance, Assisi managed to retain much of it's original appearance due to relative neglect from the 16th century into the 20th.


St Francis was born in 1181, into a fairly well-to-do position in life, and had a troubled youth, but reached a point in his life where he made a radical change. The following is the inscription on the statue representing St Francis on his horse: "Lord, what would you have me do?" to which he heard the reply, "Go back to your city and you will be told what you must do." After which he devoted the rest of his life to God.


The Basilica Di San Francesco.


Most automobile traffic is restricted in Assisi and couldn't go on some of the narrow streets anyway.



We spent some time wandering around on some of the side passage ways, not really alleys, but not really streets either, I really like the stone and brickwork on so many of the buildings and streets of Italy, but seldom were any as pretty as these.




Easily one of the most beautiful places we visited.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

very beautiful. I think I would appreciate it. I like how you do one or two of these a day. It's like i'm on a trip and I get to see it unfold the same way you did. Me I would have just posted them all at the same time when I got back which isn't as much fun for your readers. :)

Earl and Vickie said...

1700 pictures, not all of them good, it's taking awhile to pick and choose.

Robin B said...

I want to go to Italy. It looks so beautiful.

N8ster said...

Those streets look like the streets they are always driving cars down in chase scenes in movies.

N8ster said...

Completely unrelated, but related to your earlier post about finding old stuff in the fridge:

I was going to make some lemon poppy seed waffles. We already have poppy seeds . . . dated 3/25/1997.

They have absolutely no flavor.

Jeremy B said...

So Dad, are you going to be putting up new poster-size pictures in the front room?

Earl and Vickie said...

Yes, when we get the pictures chosen.