In the last 24 hours, I've noticed two things about Google Reader (how I keep track of changes on blogs).
1.One blog went private or invite only, and because I already had a feed on it, I could get the feed, but I couldn't go to the actual blog. Open blogs are set so anyone can get to them. In fact, Google Reader was recommending blogs to me, based on the ones I had already tagged. Since my blog is in fact semi-private, I appreciate people not wanting outsiders commenting or even reading their blogs. I think people should be more careful about what they put out there and who has access to it. Outsiders CAN get to this blog and if they ever become a problem, we might change our settings. One thing people don't always realize is how people can come in the "back door" so to speak, by coming in through a link on another person's blog, or again, from programs like Google Reader. The flip side is, if I comment on someone else's blog, if they don't know me, there is no link back to MY blog, and I can see how for a stranger, that might be a little uncomfortable. Who is this guy commenting on my blog. Some have a perception of privacy that isn't in fact there.
2. Google Reader will retain posts (FOREVER apparently) even if it has been deleted on the original site. I read a post in Google Reader, but it wasn't there when I went to the actual blog. I'm surmising that the blog owner decided to remove it. Just a head's up, if you are reading here, that it may not have prevented people from reading the original entry............... It may take another entry (NOPE, doesn't work) to remove the original from Google Reader.
Heads up on this, editing the entry doesn't seem to affect the entry date, so apparently the feed program doesn't notice any changes and doesn't update.
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Do you mind if I post your link?? I should have asked first...I like to look over here once in a while and that's how I remember...Maybe I should get Google reader?
RSS feeds can also access posts which have subsequently deleted as long as the feed has not been updated, . . . Yadda, yadda, yadda, if you know what I mean.
Which I think you do.
No, I don't have any problem at this time from links. If and when there is a problem, I'll deal with it. I was more addressing problems that OTHERS were having, whether they know they have a problem or not.
I think that OTHER person will probably read your blog and understand also. The friend of the friend of the friend also realized people had already read it before there significant other posted it.
Nate's comment about UPDATING a blog with ANYTHING to erase the problem entry from the RSS feeds is of particular interest. Someone MIGHT want to try it.
Let it be an inspiration to Mother-In-Laws everywhere.
You shouldn't have traumatized her like that...
Your update showed up in google reader for me, it did not however say there was anything new. I had to switch it to view all post instead of just updated posts. I also do not know how long it took before your update showed up.
Post a Comment