Monday, February 25, 2008

Today was Nurse Day.......

I probably sent 5 different kids to the nurse today. Given the fact that 4 kids were absent, that means that about 25 % of the kids present went to the nurse. One little girl was complaining that her thumb hurt. I finally took a look at it. It was red over her whole thumb except for the tip which was swollen so bad it was white. I sent her to the nurse, after awhile they sent her back, saying if it kept bothering her to send her back.

She didn't really complain much after that until about 1:45, when another child accidentally stepped on her thumb. They were sitting on the floor. She was really crying hard, I looked at it and having it squished, had caused it to start to drain. Back to the nurse.

They decided to call home and have someone pick her up, so they sent her back to the room for her backpack. After she got her backpack, I sent her back to the nurse's office, I watched her from my doorway until she was about 15-20 feet from the nurse's door.

She never made it into the nurse's office and when her dad showed up, we couldn't find her. Apparently she, for some reason, walked home. Wonderful. Everyone was in a panic, trying to find her. When I never let them leave at the end of the day until someone shows up for them, why they would think that we expected them to walk home alone is beyond me. The nurse is certain that she told her that her dad was coming for her, and I'm certain that I told her to go to the office and that I would watch her. Five year olds.

I lost my last brown hair today.

4 comments:

Jeremy B said...

Robin keeps saying I'm getting more and more gray hairs, too.

amy k said...

That's enough to cause a heart attack. Here they call you if your kid doesn't show up to school. I had a scare once that way.

How did they ever find her? I guess I should say, how did they know she had gone home?

Earl and Vickie said...

The Uncle at the house drove over to the school when she showed up without her dad.

Theresa said...

ah,... guess you just have to be a grandpa now. I can't believe that the girl walked home,... did you get in trouble for not watching her all the way to the office or anything? I mean you did have a classroom full of kids that weren't being watched while you were watching her so,..but I know people get skiddish about these things.