Friday, February 15, 2008

Beer......

At the end of the day, I take the kids to the front of the school and dismiss them to their parents, older siblings, or some other hopefully responsible person. Sometimes I have one or more left over who go into the office and the irresponible-responsible person has to sign them out. Today I had one left, and he has been the one left for the last three days.

So we are waiting and I'm talking to the kid, and I say, " So how come your dad is late getting you every day?"

He thought about it for a minute and then he said, "Well, my dad has to go and get some beer..........."

I said, "Kenny, (not his real name) I'm going to tell your dad you said that......."

And his dad did show up before I left, so I told him. The whole office got a big laugh out of it. The dad said, "Sure, he couldn't just say I was running late from work......." I said, "Nope, they never do."

I told him I would make a deal, if he didn't believe half the stuff Kenny told him about our class, I wouldn't believe half of what he told me about home. Dad liked that deal, but he wasn't sure that half was a high enough percentage.

Beer reminds me of a story from when I was a little kid. The guy that lived next door was sitting on his front porch drinking a beer and I asked him what it was he was drinking, and he said it was beer. I said, "My dad drinks beer...." Now the neighbor KNEW my dad, and that we were Mormon, so he got another beer and said, "Here, here's one for your dad." Which I happily took over and gave to my dad. My dad had to take it back and explain that he did in fact drink ROOTBEER..... The neighbor knew this, he was just having some fun, or maybe he thought he had caught my dad in something.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Dad thought it was funny. He says you should retain the story for family history about grandpa.... you should tell him to get on your blog and deliver his own messages. ;)

Earl and Vickie said...

You can't tell Grandpa to do anything. He wants to know what's going on in the family, I ask him if he's checked the blog lately. He says, no, he can't seem to make it work. I'm sure if he was having trouble and asked, Kurt would troubleshoot it for him.

Theresa said...

no,... i was saying you should tell my dad to deliver his own messages. So if he wants you to put the story in family history somewhere, my dad should get on these blogs and tell you so himself. He doesn't listen to me when I tell him. :)

Earl and Vickie said...

See how it is? My dad doesn't listen to me, yours doesn't listen to you........ What I wrote still works. But thanks for the clarification.

Kerstin said...

good thing you didn't drink the beer cause that is probably what I would have done having confussed it with Rootbeer.