Sunday, February 17, 2008

Birth Order and Houdini

When I was growing up, being the eldest, I was given responsibility. Being the first born, I looked at it this way - I was the one put in charge. I had responsibilites. I'm sure that the way my parents looked at it was, that I was the oldest so I could DO more than the younger sibs. However, I looked at it as more like I was in charge of seeing that the younger ones did the work. I supervised. If you have ever read anything on birth order it can be real illuminating. Birth order and some personality traits correlate very well. Vickie and I are BOTH first borns. Nathan and Betsy are BOTH first borns, Bryan, Sariah, Jeremy and Robin are all middle children. Then there's Kristi and Matt. (I'm just wondering here, if you ask me or Vickie, we think that you guys are doing great jobs with your kids and are really proud of you all) But what's it like to be raised by the middle children, or by the babies of the families? I can't fathom it. It's got to have an affect.

Houdini

Being the eldest, I was sometimes left in charge....... the free babysitter. In retrospect, I terrorized those poor kids. Now, one of my goals was to get them out of the way, so I could do what I wanted, which generally didn't involve them...... So we would play Houdini. I would volunteer to go first. I would let them tie me up, it was easy to wiggle out of their knots, especially if you held your wrists the right way. Then when it was their turn, I would tie them up real good and go off and leave them. My memory doesn't tell me how LONG I left them for, but I know it was longer than THEY wanted.

4 comments:

N8ster said...

Why have I not heard this story before now?

It could have come in really handy, about 30 years ago.

Earl and Vickie said...

You didn't need any of my help to get in trouble. A few of your stories have come to light in recent years........

Theresa said...

hahaha. i suffer from older child syndrome as well. I'm always trying to take control of my siblings lives,...however.

No Thanks. I'm trying to quit.

Kerstin said...

haha that is really funny, especially considering Brent and I did practically the same thing to Matt once. WE were babysitting and we wanted the little kids to clean up (while we supervised of course). Matt refused so we tied him to a chair and made him watch Top Hat (it was a black and white movie and the worst punishment we could think of).