Saturday, May 26, 2007

When there are no subs (they're chicken of kindergarten..)

There is this one kindergarten teacher who had a death in the family and she is out of state for two weeks. They haven't gotten a substitute for her on any of the days she has been gone and she will still be out for another week. She has poor discipline, and some rotten kids, and SOME who are only rotten because she has poor discipline. Anyway, we have had to break her class up everyday and spread them out in the other classes. I got 5 of the them and 2 of the 5 are a pain. We decided that every day that we have to take them, we would each take the same 5 kids, that way it's more of a routine for them. Routine is good. But 31 kids is a bigger pain than 26. One of the problems is that her kids are not only acting up, but some of mine are as well due to the changes.

I have been thinking about it though. When I first started teaching, 18 or so years ago, I taught kinder for the first 4 years. It was different back then, I had 30 or so in the morning and another 30 or so in the afternoon. I'm convinced that there are MORE behavior issues with the kindergarten kids today than there were 14-18 years ago. Sure we had some, but not as many and not as many as bad as these today. I think a third of my class has problems. And what makes that seem really bad to me is that I'm a much better teacher than I was 18 years ago.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Would it be to logical to have one of the other teachers teach the class and get a sub for the 2nd or 3rd grade teacher instead. Probably some stupid rule against it.

Hester said...

i added captions on my blog for those (meaning you) that don't know every single person in my family. you need to work on that earl