Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Dr. Jones says...........

In "Lets Fix the Kids" Dr. Jones reminds us that children aren't concerned with our mental health. He's talking about our "OWN" children, but I think it applies to teachers and their relationship with their students as well, after all, I don't think there's any question that we spend more time with their children than some parents do. And they (the kids)AREN'T concerned with our mental health.

So I'm crazy and I admit it. Being crazy can be so fun and liberating.

A couple of days ago this one particular thorn in my side came up missing. We had been on the playground for awhile playing with a couple of other classes. When we got back to class, I was one student short. I finally narrowed it down to one missing girl. I sent a couple of kids to check the bathroom and she wasn't there. As I was reaching for the phone to call the office, I got a call from the health office. Without talking to anyone she just decided to take herself to the nurse.

I have made it VERY clear to my students that they don't leave the class, they don't leave the room, they don't go ANYWHERE without me knowing about it and giving permission. So, while she was at the nurse's office I took the rest of the class down to the teacher's lounge where I had a bunch of Otter Pops in the freezer. We were all eating them when she came out of the Office, and no, she didn't get one.

Hey, I figure a little payback is good for the soul..............

No comments: