I've got this one little Hispanic boy who hasn't picked up a word of English all year near as I can tell. He usually just looks at me and smiles and nods when I try to talk to him, then he goes and does whatever. At least he hasn't bit the Principal anymore since the first time.
They were doing some health screening with my kids the other day and I sent the girls down, then the boys. Girls went OK. About 5 minutes after I sent the boys down, they sent "him" back, he was burping on purpose and drove the nurse crazy. So a couple of days later I sent him back with two other boys who had been absent and they couldn't get anything out of him so they asked me to send him back down this morning. I suggested having someone there who could speak Spanish for him. It seemed to go pretty well, he did OK on the vision part, but failed the hearing portion. So now maybe we have at least a partial explanation of why there hasn't been much progress........
The boys do things like, when I say, "Don't step in the mud", look right at me and step in the mud. And then when I growl at them, they look like, "Why are you yelling at ME?" "Mud?" I threw every one's crayons away two days ago. Pencil boxes are next. I am SO ready for the beach.
Thursday, March 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment