Friday, September 01, 2006

So My Class is Actually Coming Together.......

So, here is my class this year (minus the one who bit the principal yesterday, he wasn't kicked out, in fact they didn't even call his mother, I just told her yesterday after school). And the girl who yesterday said, "But I WANTED to come to school," has now decided that maybe it might be OK.

Here is my class working with "Unifix" cubes. They each had two sticks of ten, it was "free exploration day" They get to do anything with the cubes they wanted, just not throw or put them in their mouth. It took them awhile to advance to this. First two girls combined theirs, and then it escalated from there. when it was time to put them away, they had to find ten cubes the same color and make a stick before I'd take them back. That took awhile, but they got some serious counting in and didn't even know they were working!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Thoses unifx cubes were one of my favorite parts of Kindergarten. We used them in math to count and make patterns, etc. But during free time Mrs. Frederickson would let us make very long snakes out of them. She had buckets full of them. Where can I get some of those?

Earl and Vickie said...

You can get them here.
http://www.didax.com/unifix/math/

Earl and Vickie said...

And you know, when I went to that link I just HAD to buy something.......

Jeremy B said...

Olivia and Garrett both love to play with these when they come into my classroom.