Friday, September 15, 2006

And the rest of the week.........

Let's see, TWO fire drills (one real and one some kid pulled) this week, The firemen where shaking their heads about the condition of the school with the construction going on and they were AMAZED that all of the alarms actually worked...
Jackhammering and cement cutting ten feet from my classroom door most of the morning today.
Wednesday I noticed that one of my boys had a large angry red area on his arm (two to three inches in diameter), it looked like a second degree burn with unpopped blisters, he couldn't, or wouldn't tell me what had happened so I sent him to the nurse, turns out to be impetigo (HIGHLY contagious) They sent him home, he's gone for a week, and the nurse said, "You need to disinfect anything he's touched......." Let's see, that would basically be EVERY THING IN THE ROOM.....
Yesterday the construction foreman, got bit by a dog he was trying to lock up that had wandered onto the school grounds........ maybe 50 stitches worth.
Today with FIVE minutes notice, they called inclement weather lunch schedule due to wind (wind = dust), so the kindergarten kids didn't get to run any wiggles off. A lot of our kids have asthma and the school grounds are a dust bowl since they have torn up all of the sprinkler system with their digging.
Three 20 year old pines next to the lunch room were dropping all of their GREEN needles because they had cut half the roots digging trenches and the irrigation system is down. So I started watering them after school. The night custodian tried to take a short cut in the dark after I had watered and sank in the mud up to his knees.
And I did baseline testing all week so I could know where the kids are, of course with me testing, the kids aren't supervised as closely as I would like and they started to try to take advantage of that.....

It was SO NICE to send their little behinds home at the end of the day today.

The really GOOD news was that my last years kindergarten class SMOKED the DIBELS test(a reading diagnostic test, Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills). Apparently they REALLY stand out over the other first graders, blowing away the bench marks for beginning first grade.

4 comments:

Jeremy B said...

I don't know what it was about this week. It seems like the change in weather brought on a whole bunch of weird behaviors. Before Thursday we'd dealt with one fight all year. On Thursday, we had five. Robin had the same kinds of things with her class.

Earl and Vickie said...

Can't blame it on the full moon, that was LAST week.

Jeremy B said...

My class on Thursday was driving me crazy. I was playing a spelling game that is alot like go fish but they have to get words with the same pattern. We had played this game before but with different words. I reminded them of the rules and of the patterns in their words to be looking for and then let them play at their tables. The rest of spelling time they fought and argued about the game and who they wanted to play with and who they didn't want to play with at their table. I stopped the class and told them that we were in 3rd grade that we should not be fighting and this was supposed to be fun. Right after that the fighting started again. So we stopped again and they had to put their heads on their desk. Then the recess bell rang and they got up to leave. I said I don't think so. We wasted our entire spelling time fighting so we didn't get to practice our words for the test tomorrow. So I made them get out a poem from the day before find all the words that had the spelling patterns we were looking for and then they had to write all them in the correct categories in their notebooks before they were allowed to go to recess. I was so mad at them. Here we were trying to play a game and all they could do was fight and say "I don't want to play with her." I told them that we would not be playing a game next week. I try to play a game with the spelling words each week. I was so glad that the next day I had a sub so I could finish all of my reading testing. When you have days like this you think to yourself why am I doing this again?

Earl and Vickie said...

When I do games like that in my class, I choose one kid at a time to pick a partner, but I don't wait until they have picked to pick the next kid. That way they get a little pressure to pick a partner fast before someone else picks them. The rule is, if you say no, you don't get to play. If you decide NOT to play right or with your partner, you don't get to play. I hate that.