Monday, July 12, 2010

Paris, Day 2-Monday

Functioning a little better today, our tour of the Louvre took about 4 hours and about walked our legs off (add another 3 hours for waiting and travel, the subways here are good, like London). I always envisioned a visit to the Louvre as a quiet, contemplative visit with historic art. Hummm, got THAT wrong, at least this time of the year.....
As we approached the entrance our tour guide Isabel (not her real name) said, "Here is where they check your bags, so if you have any scissors, knives, guns or bombs, remove them from your bag and put them in your pocket, they check the bag, not the person."

Then when we got in a little further, one of the staff told one of the guys on our tour he would have to check his umbrella, rather than do so and hold up the tour, he threw it in the trash.




And No, contrary to the impression in the movie "The Da Vinci Code", they are not aligned over and under each other.

THIS is what is under the glass pyramid that you walk up to outside. And that is about how busy the whole place was.


And you don't get a nice quiet visit with Mona.

Seems like we've eaten mostly out of grocery stores. Apparently our clocks aren't set the same as Parisiennes, the resturants never seem to be open when we want food, like dinner around 6:00. And we refused to eat at Mickey D's (in the Louvre).
It's nice having the laptop on this trip. On previous trips, I've left it home because I didn't want to lug it around all the time or leave it in the hotel. My newer laptop is smaller and lighter, and so I figured I could carry it, but I don't have to, it even fits in the safe in our room. How cool is that?
Funny thing about accessing the net in a foreign language country, it wants to do everything in the host language, Spell check on my blog thinks everything should be in French.
Blog shows posting at around 11:10 am, that's Vegas time, it's 9 hours later here or almost nine o'clock now. Going to bed soon.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I like the real time trip reporting. seems like it was worth it to bring your laptop this time around. :) it only for my sake,... ;)

Robin B said...

Jeremy: I love that picture with Mona. What was your favorite part of the Louvre?

Earl and Vickie said...

Well, you really don't get to see much on a 4 hour tour. Didn't get to see any of the more modern French impressionists for example. Part of the problem with the Louvre was that they are closd on Tuesdays, and Bastille Day is Wednesday, (EVERY thing is closed for that...) So yesterday was pretty much it for the Louvre, I think I mostly liked just the background and history that the guide gave, and of course we saw some pretty famous sculpure, Venus De Milo, some other Greek and Roman and some stuff from Michelangelo. I'll put mom's favorite painting when I can find the title.