Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Kids at school

So two of the four worst behaved kids in my class haven't been there for the last week and a third missed several days. It's been nice.

We were doing a little recess after Music yesterday and this one girl had this large metallic sticker that she was trying to put on. I asked her where she got it, and she told me that this other kid in the class had given it to her. Now, it just happened to be one of MY stickers, which meant that someone had been into things in the room that they shouldn't have been. I let her keep it, but I called the other kid over (he just happens to be the fourth one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse) and asked him where he had gotten the sticker. He hemmed and hawed, so I told him to sit at the wall, he couldn't play. He sits there for a couple of minutes and then tells me he needs to go to the bathroom. Now this is a major tactic of those in timeout- to find an excuse or way to get out of timeout. So I told him NO. A couple more minutes pass then he tells me he's had an "accident".

I was ready to GIVE him an accident...........

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Isaac uses that same tactic. But he really does have to go. He just doesn't realize it until he actually has to be still for more than 5 seconds. So I just tell him to go first and then we start time out. Maybe your horseman has what isaac has.

Earl and Vickie said...

Hey, I TELL you guys these stories so that you will side with ME, not the little rugrats........ :)

Betsy said...

I'm just sayin'....

Earl and Vickie said...

Sure, I know, and there ARE kids like that. I just think it's odd that the kid has been in my class for 165 DAYS and SUDDENLY it's an issue. And from the teacher perspective, kids DO try to get out of timeout as soon as they get in. It's a symptom, they are often a little squirrelly to begin with, the kids that get sent to timeout. And timeout can be mind numbing boring. Who wouldn't want to get out of it...... I would.
I just don't have many options for dealing with inappropriate behavior. They DON"T want to see the kids in the office.