Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Done vs. Dumb

The other day I made one of my kids cry. I don't know WHY I did it, I just PUSHED and she cried. She came up to me and said, "Mr. Brunner, I'm done." And playing with her I said, "Hey, you are NOT dumb, you are SMART." She said, "No, I'm done." And I said, " No you are NOT, you are smart." And SHE said,...... well you get the drift.

After going back and forth like this, I started cutting her off, I wouldn't let her start, I kept saying, " Look, I don't want to HEAR it, you are NOT dumb, you are SMART." This other boy walks up to me, he could see where this was getting her and he said, "Mr. Brunner, I'm FINISHED." Now, he got it.

But the girl was so set on telling me that she was saying done, not dumb, that she go so frustrated that she started to cry. I don't know why I do these things. I mean generally she is a nice kid, and she is smart. I mean why do I do these things?

I mean, we were reading about a rabbit awhile ago and I kept calling it a wabbit, not a rabbit and it drove her nuts.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

you are just mean.

Earl and Vickie said...

I am mean, but it's not all unprovoked, she does have a "pain-in-the-toosh" streak. Besides, this little personality quirk could cause her problems later, I'm trying to get her to work through it....... Yeah, right, I'm doing her a favor.......