Saturday, January 09, 2010

Taro and Green Bananas

Before school started back up, I went to the oriental market and got some taro. I was going to cook it last Saturday or Sunday, but didn't get to it. Today, at the store they had some totally green bananas in the organic section so I got four.

I've been thinking for some time about how to get the Umu taste and smell without an Umu. They had frozen banana leaves at the oriental market, so I got some of them when I got the taro. I was talking to our bishop's wife (who is Samoan) and I told her what I was going to do.

Boiling or baking the taro and bananas on the stove or in the oven just doesn't get the full affect. I cut the taro into chunks, and pealed the bananas, then I wrapped them in the banana leaves and then in aluminum foil. I then stuck them on the grill for about an hour at around 500 degrees. Turned them once.

It charred the banana leaves nicely, and some of the taro and bananas had some nice browned edges. And the smell. It had that nice smokey aroma that you get from the Umu. Some nice coconut milk with onion and curry finished out the taste.

Wonderful.......

No comments: