Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tamale Recipe


Here is the recipe for the tamales that I made for the gathering at Karl and Marrae's. I don't know where they get the "15 servings" I stopped at 25 tamales, and I could have made anywhere from 8 to 12 or more additional ones. I knew I had enough so I stopped. It's been 8 years since I last made them and the flow of the whole thing was a little off, but they turned out great anyway. I substituted the 16 oz. bottle of La Victoria Salsa Verde for the tomatillos and the small can of Salsa Verde. I used mild sauce, but you could step it up a bit by using medium sauce. The number one ingredient in the salsa verde is tomatillos anyway. I liked putting the strips of chili into them, I think it added flavor. I used a large can of whole mild green chiles, the kind I would use for chili relenos. But I had about a half of a can left over, I'd use a smaller can of chiles or even diced ones next time. The onion isn't listed in the ingredients, but is mentioned in the directions, I found that I need to spread the masa right on the edge that gets folded over and then the corn husk doesn't get folded into the tamale as much. You can buy prepared masa, but Albertson's didn't have any so I looked up making masa for tamales on the internet, use 4 cups of dry masa if you go that way, Combine 4 cups of masa flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix together. Now slowly pour in 4 cups of luke warm chicken broth and mix into a sticky dough. Add 2/3 cup of cooking oil. It should be spreadable, but not too stiff.

No comments: