I liked this short story by Willa Cather, especially this part.
'It's too hot in here to eat comfortable. Let's have a picnic in the orchard. We'll eat our supper behind the mulberry hedge, under them linden trees.'
"So he carried our supper down, an' a bottle of my wild-grape wine, an' everything tasted good, I can tell you. The wind got cooler as the sun was goin' down, and it turned out pleasant, only I noticed how the leaves was curled up on the linden trees. That made me think, an' I asked your father if that hot wind all day hadn't been terrible hard on the gardens an' the corn.
" 'Corn,' he says, 'there ain't no corn.'
" 'What you talkin' about?' I said. 'Ain't we got forty acres?"
" 'We ain't got an ear,' he says, 'nor nobody else ain't got none. All the corn in this country was cooked by three o'clock today, like you'd roasted it in an oven.'
" 'You mean you won't get no crop at all?' I asked him. I couldn't believe it, after he'd worked so hard.
" 'No crop this year,' he says. 'That's why we're havin' a picnic. We might as well enjoy what we got.'
"An' that's how your father behaved, when all the neighbours was so discouraged they couldn't look you in the face. An' we enjoyed ourselves that year, poor as we was, an' our neighbours wasn't a bit better off for bein' miserable. Some of 'em grieved till they got poor digestions and couldn't relish what they did have."
http://shortstoryclassics.50megs.com/catherneighbour.html
".....our neighbors wasn't a bit better off for bein' miserable." Thats just a great line.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Elder Holland: I have often thought that Nephi’s being bound with cords and beaten by rods must have been more tolerable to him than listening to Laman and Lemuel’s constant murmuring. Surely he must have said at least once, “Hit me one more time. I can still hear you.” Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of Elder Holland’s maxims for living—no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse.
Post a Comment