Monday, October 02, 2006
Repeating Patterns cont.
So today, I had a guy in my room (he is a part time kindergarten aide, he's going to be working with my low kids but hasn't really started on that yet) watching me teach, I was doing math and I was using the overhead and some tranparent colored markers. I put the pattern A B A B A B on the over head and asked a kid if they could come up and make the pattern with the markers. One of my kids did. Then I asked another one to do the same pattern but use different colored markers. We did it with A B B A B B A B B, A B C A B C A B C, A A B C A A B C A A B C and a couple of others, nearly all of my kids got it the first try. The guy was speechless. We then did it with me making the pattern and them writing the letters for the pattern, they made more mistakes this way, but still did really good. There is hope for this bunch of kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Having a teacher who believes that makes it true.
Why was the guy speechless? Does he think it was too hard or too easy?
He knows it'a a hard skill this early in the year (some of them don't get it until near the end of the year). He was amazed they could do it. (he thinks I"m a good teacher) He is also the one who benchmark tested my now-first-graders class from last year and was amazed at how well they did compared to the other kidergarten kids. sure some teachers had some bright kids, but my group- as a group- performed better, even the lower kids.
Post a Comment