Nate asked about the gas bubbles and the crumb, it is perfect for sandwich bread, nice evenly distributed bubbles and good crumb. The bread isn't too dense or to airy. I usually make two loaves a week, and freeze them. If you click on it, it will enlarge the picture and you can see the detail of the texture.
I use Kristi's recipe, but I probably do a couple of things a little different. I preheat the water in the microwave to between 100-110 degrees. That jump starts the yeast and gets the whole process going. I knead the dough in the Bosch for 5 minutes, then let it double. Then I knead it again for 5 minutes before placing it into the two loaf pans for the final raise. I know that Kristi doesn't do that, but it works for me.
Wheat bread doesn't raise the same way as white flour bread. So I let it raise almost as much as I expect to to before placing it in the preheated oven. I preheat the oven to 450 degrees. I place a cookie sheet under the rack the bread goes on. As soon as I put the bread into the oven, I pour a cup of water onto the cookie sheet under the bread, this provides steam for the bread and allows the bread to have "oven spring" and it will raise some more usually. Because of the bran in whole wheat bread it won't always do this final "spring" without the steam. As soon as I close the oven door, I turn the oven down to 350. I then cook for about 40 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment