Saturday, October 10, 2009

Homeade Whole Wheat Bread


Growing up, homeade, whole wheat bread was never like this. It was always dense, and even crumbly. This is almost like store bought (not the cheap "brown" bread, but the good stuff, that you pay like $3.00 or more a loaf for, and that's at a regular grocery store, if you go to a bakery or specialty store, forget it). Part of it is the Turkey White Hard Wheat, this flour is 50/50 Turkey red and Turkey White, and part of it's the vital wheat gluten, but from what I've been reading, I could probably do pretty good without the extra gluten, maybe not THIS good, but still better than the old whole wheat I grew up on. I use dough enhancer too, but I just started doing that, I don't notice much difference in the bread itself, but the dough enhancer is supposed to give you a better shelf life.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

can you send me the recipe for that? Also, where do you get dough enhancer? I really want to make whole wheat bread instead of buying it (I pay the $4 a loaf) because it's the only stuff Isaac can eat. So far my bread always comes out like a brick.

Earl and Vickie said...

Sent it. Let me know if you have any questions.