Sunday, December 04, 2005

If I only had 6 months to live........

I was listening to public radio the other day (well you have to keep tabs on the liberals...). I know Hester, but you aren't around to have "discussions" with anymore. Heck you don't even write in your own blog. Have you even LOOKED at it lately?

Anyway, as I said, I was listening to public radio the other day and this one show was doing a replay of it's original first show about 10 years ago. The host had a guy on that was some kind of photographer who spent a lot of time going around the world photographing or filming different religious festivals and celebrations. The time that he was talking about he was in Jerusalem either at Christmas time or Easter, not sure which. Anyway he stayed out too late that night and he got locked out of his Hostel. He didn't have enough money on him to be able to stay somewhere else so he found himself wandering the streets late at night in Jerusalem. He said with all the vendors and such packed up for the night that he had a real sense of the age of the city, it was like he had gone back in time. He eventually found his way into one of the few buildings still open at two in the morning. A church, the one built over the place where Jesus was supposed to have been crucified. He spent the rest of the night in that church.

He had a sort of religious experience where in his mind he felt or got the impression that he should live the next 6 months as though he only had that 6 months to live. The rest of his account related to what happened as he restructured his thinking and life to that premise as he answered the questions, "What do I do with the time I have left?" "What do I want or need to do?" "What is really important?"

You know, I find myself living from day to day, never really thinking to much about the future, I mean, it's always out there. There's always a tomorrow, there is always time. We don't understand eternity, but we don't understand an ending of time either. Vickie calls me the Great Procrastinator, and sometimes I really am. In the back of my mind, there is still time out there.

But what if there isn't?

At some point, the time is up...

The scriptures are replete with verses that talk about the Second Coming of our Savior. Prophets looking forward to that day, people being called to prepare for that day. But its not really the day necessarily when He comes, but the day when we will stand before Him that is the most critical. People down through the ages have looked to that day and their lives have come and gone and the Second Coming hasn't happened yet. But they have all had that individual moment. Whether he comes here or we go there, it will happen.

We have CTR rings and little Iron Rod jewelry, some Christians have WWJD rings and jewelry. What Would Jesus Do? Wouldn't it be nice if we asked ourselves that question a little more often? Wouldn't it be nice if we were so in tune with the Spirit, that everything we do and say reflects it?

Less bogged down in the mundane and more elevated by the eternal, I would that we all were more so.

6 comments:

Hester said...

earl you need to embrace the liberals....love them. ps: I'm making a renewed effort to update my blog more frequently.

kristi r said...

so, have you started reading the book of mormon?

Betsy said...

I think that another good phrase to think about is to "live life on purpose". So many times I find myself just reacting to the things that happen to me in my life instead of being my own agent of change. So much to think about at his time of year.

Amber said...

Wow earl, deep, thanks for making me think this morning.

Earl and Vickie said...

My bishop when I was growing up used to ask, "Are you acting or reacting?" My mission president used to day, "If we know what we know, why do we do what we do?"

Jeremy B said...

We hope that you live alot longer than 6 months.